How to be your homeowner insurer’s best friend
Everyone is looking to reduce homeowner’s insurance premiums in New Jersey, New York and the rest of the Northeast. Most people think the only way to reduce your homeowner’s premiums is to shop for the best price. While that is always a good idea (Beckerman & Company represents many fine and stable insurers that we can select from), lowering your risk is a big factor in obtaining lower homeowners insurance rates. By improving your homeowner’s risk you will attract better insurers and obtain the best possible price for your risk.
Here are five factors that will increase your risk factors (and your premiums) in the mind of the insurance company:
- Pets and farm animals. Not all pets are going to increase premiums, but owning a German Shepherd, Great Dane, Siberian Husky, Doberman, Rottweiler, Pit Bull, or any other dog that could be considered aggressive, could raise insurance rates.
- Owning a trampoline will increase your rates. Trampolines result in approximately 92,000 hospital visits each year.
- Swimming pools (both above and in-ground) will increase your homeowner’s insurance rates. Over 1,000 people die each year as a result of pool accidents.
- Location, location, location. Where you live impacts the insurance company’s view of your risk.
- Condition of your home. Keep up on basic home maintenance. Keep your roof in good repair.
Based on the Insurance Information Institute figures from 2013, rates for homeowner’s insurance are the highest in Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Oklahoma. The states with the lowest rates include Idaho, Oregon, Utah, Wisconsin and Washington.
We also understand that you want your claims covered and you want outstanding customer service. Unlike some faceless internet company, we will always work more than “7 minutes” to find you the best possible combination of price, coverage and service for your insurance needs.
Beckerman & Company is an Independent Agent; we are free to choose the best carrier for your insurance needs. We do not work for an insurance company; we work for you. We offer free, comparative quotes on home insurance from multiple insurance carriers so you can get the best possible rate. Want to see how much we can save you? Just request a quote to find out.Filed Under: Blog, Home Insurance | Tagged With: home insurance, Insurance