You have invested a great deal of time, money, and energy into your business in order for it to be successful. Part of every successful business is having a plan in place if a disaster should happen. According to the Small Business Administration, 25% of businesses do not re-open after a disaster. Most of these failed businesses did not have a disaster plan in place.
Disasters can include:
- Major fires
- Civil unrest
What should go into a disaster plan?
- Emergency contact information on all employees.
- Contact information for key vendors and clients.
- A plan to continue operating after a disaster; this may include a secondary location.
- Determine what operations are critical and need to continue, and which activities are not.
- Have a clear evacuation plan and general meeting area for employees.
- Make sure you have a disaster kit that includes water, blankets, flashlights, and other safety equipment.
- Have a plan for the security of client’s information.
- If you have any hazardous materials, make sure you have a plan to manage spills.
- Have a communication plan for clients, suppliers, employees, and the community.
Beckerman & Company is a Personal and Commercial Insurance Agency with offices in Colonia and Forked River, New Jersey. Our McCoy Insurance Agency subsidiary is located in Bloomfield, NJ. In addition to providing Commercial insurance coverage for business and industry, we provide Risk Management services for governmental entities and non-profit organizations.Filed Under: Blog, Business Insurance, Flood insurance | Tagged With: Business insurance, Commercial insurance