Don’t let criminals take the Ho Ho Ho out of your Christmas
For the next few weeks everyone in The Northeast will be very busy. We all have family activities, work, school, shopping, parties and football games to fill our days. Unfortunately, criminals are also busy this time of year. So when you are shopping, make sure to protect yourself. These tips can help you to stay safe during the holiday season. Remember if you purchase high end items you may need to add them to your homeowner’s insurance policy.
- If shopping online, don’t click on unfamiliar web sites or emails. Don’t give your personal information to sites you don’t know; shop with companies you know and trust. Check for background information if you plan to buy from a new or unfamiliar company.
- Do not download holiday apps from unfamiliar websites and then give your permission for the app to have unlimited access to your information.
- Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle, particularly when shopping. Check the back seat and around the car before getting in.
- Do not buy all your holiday gifts online using unsecure, Wi-Fi connections.
- Avoid driving alone or at night. Park in well-lit parking lots, and write down your location.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- Keep receipts in your pocket, not in the package.
- Never leave packages in the car; place in the truck if necessary.
- Don’t take all your credit cards with you, only those you may need.
To find more useful shopping tips and personal safety information, visit the National Crime Prevention Council’s website.
At Beckerman & Company, our personal insurance products provide our customers with protection for their homes, automobiles and personal possessions, along with personal liability coverages.