Did you know that about 15% of all auto accidents involve a hit and run driver? Many people flee accidents for two reasons: they are either not properly licensed or they are not insured. Having uninsured motorist coverage is good protection for hit and run accidents.
Our hope is that you never are in an accident, but if you are involved in a hit and run accident here are a few tips:
- Do not try to catch the hit and run driver.
- Try to write down as much as you can remember about the car (color, make, and model) and the driver.
- Make sure everyone in your car is safe and un-hurt. If you have injured people in your car, try to make sure they receive attention.
- Call 911 if there are injuries.
- Look for any witnesses and obtain personal information.
- Write down the accident location.
- Take pictures with your phone.
- Contact the police and report this information as soon as possible. Be ready to report your location and the direction in which the driver was traveling.
- Never leave the accident scene especially if there are injuries. Wait for the police.
- Call your insurance company/agent. Depending on your coverage, your insurer will compensate you for your vehicle and injuries.
Auto accidents happen every day, and you buy auto insurance just for these types of occasions. If you have any questions about hit-and-run accidents or what to do if you are the victim of one, call our office.
The Management and the entire professional staff of Beckerman & Company will always strive to provide all of our valued clients with the finest in customer service. In doing so, we serve our community in meeting their needs. When we help our clients, their employees and families, we help ourselves and our families.Filed Under: Auto Insurance | Tagged With: Auto accident, Auto Insurance